Wednesday, June 13, 2018

Mattel M-14 Toy & Other Stuff I Sold On eBay

Yes, a time came years ago when I decided to sell some of my old toys that had been in storage in the attic of my childhood home. I got these things in the late fifties, early sixties. First, check out this nearly life-sized Mattel M-14:




Is this thing realistic or not? Times have changed! It would not be safe for any child to be seen with a toy like this. My cousins and I used to walk a few blocks to a place where we could "play army". I carried this thing and they had Thompson machine guns that were just as realistic. No problem in those days. I sold this on eBay to a gentleman in Houston, Texas. I won't tell you how much money I got for it. It was more than I expected. 

It took two A batteries in the stock and made noise when you pulled the trigger. I was a gun nut when I was a child. I read about the M-14 in Popular Mechanics and I wanted one! Way too young. I grew out of that, thank God. I matured.

The other item I got some money for was this Marx Medieval Castle play set:




Do kids have an interest in stuff like this anymore? Or is it just phones and electronic games?
Do children still use their imaginations? Imagination might become subversive. Signs of an active imagination might trigger psychiatric treatment and some form of chemical lobotomy.




Some of the knights were not part of the set. I just threw them in. I believe though that they were also Louis Marx products.



Well, this was off-topic but until I have new pics I will just go through my archives. We will be more regional and more topical next time, with old views of the Stubbs BBQ memorial and Abernathy, Texas. These will be the FIRST set of photos I took in Abernathy, shortly after the turn of the century. That sounds odd, doesn't it?


No comments:

Post a Comment