Monday, June 11, 2018

Lubbock's North Overton

When I was a college student I lived in North Overton, in several different places over the years, and most of my student friends lived in that neighborhood. But the neighborhood deteriorated badly and eventually it became the target of urban renewal. I took photos when the project was in an early stage and many buildings were still under construction, and some of the old neighborhood had yet to be demolished. These photos were probably taken about fifteen years ago.




I really did not like to see this because I had so many memories of the old neighborhood.




Streets were still narrow but the population density increased a lot. I didn't see that as a good thing.
 The glass here indicates that a car was broken into.





 This used to be Bob's Cafe.
 On the opposite corner there was a duplex where I spent one semester with a roommate. All that was left, when I took this photo, was the driveway.
After so many years, this project is still not quite complete!

The Overton Hotel was just going up. I ate in the restaurant a few years ago with my wife. It's a great place if you feel like dropping a hundred bucks for a modest meal for two. No thanks.


 There in the distance is the damnable football stadium. The existence of such structures I offer as evidence that we are, in fact, NOT an intelligent species at all. Clever apes, maybe.

If you want to know what killed the old Overton North, I can sum it up very easily: greedy absentee landlords.

No comments:

Post a Comment