Friday, June 15, 2018

Lubbock's Walk Of Fame, As It Used To Be

Yes, the statue of Buddy Holly and the Walk Of Fame were once on Avenue Q. I took photos when these things were fairly new, freshly installed. Later, they were moved closer to the Buddy Holly Center off of 19th, where they can be found today.
And there it is, just as it used to be. Let's look at some of the plaques.
I remember when Joe Ely played guitar and sang in a coffee shop tucked into an alley between Broadway and 13th Street, just off of what used to be College Avenue, across from Texas Technological College, as it was called then. I remember an old Gibson acoustic he used then. It was pretty beat up. I wonder what happened to that guitar? I was just beginning to learn to play myself. I had a long way to go. I STILL have a long way to go.




I think I took these photos in 2002, so I guess this monument had been around for at least a few years-- more than I thought.


My wife and her second husband used to have a motor home. They would load it up every year and head for Turkey, Texas for Bob Wills Day. We talked about doing that but she'd been there and done that. She warned me that hotels and motels would be booked up and hard to find and the crowds would be enormous. So we didn't go there. I don't regret not going. Travel and crowds are two things I don't enjoy very much. And my wife had had her fill of traveling. Enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment