Tuesday, August 7, 2018

Retracing Steps: New Deal

I did New Deal solo without too much of a feeling of desolation/loneliness. But mostly I managed by focusing on the tasks at hand, like relocating the same things we found years ago. On the way into New Deal, exiting I-27, I found evidence of a bad accident involving a guard rail.
 This had to have been a serious wreck!
 I don't think I photographed this the last time, when my wife was with me. High School football is a big deal in these little towns.
 There was only one spot worth a few pics, and I relocated it without much trouble.

This is it.




It has not changed much.




It looked like the same old junk, or treasures, with some new stuff, or treasures.


I don't think this VW was there last time. It's been a few years.




I heard music coming from inside this place! Maybe somebody lives here?




I tried to get more views of the surroundings than I did the last time.

 That truck kind of sums up what Texas is all about, at least in this area.
 This is where we are.
 In South Texas a stump like this would rot away, but here, it just dries out and turns hard as a brick.
There is really not much to see in New Deal, in my opinion. Probably even less to do if you discount high school football.



I found one more funky old building to photograph, and then I left. Next time, it'll be some views of the surrounding country as I left New Deal. I stopped at the abandoned recycling center on the way back to Lubbock. It's still wide open and there are NO no trespassing signs-- no effort to restrict access at all. Probably toxic in some areas. That would be no surprise, but I don't think any soil testing has taken place. 

No comments:

Post a Comment