Monday, August 20, 2018

Hub Homes, And More...

After leaving OLD TOWN I just drove around.
 I photographed whatever seemed to be of interest, like this yellow house.



Above, what was once Edward's Electronics, owned by Bryan Edwards. I got to know that gentleman in future years. I did odd jobs for him, and played checkers with him. He was an expert checker player. I was very happy, once, to play him to a draw.
The door, below, enters into what was once the stock room.



I looked again at construction downtown.

The place above has always been some sort of bar and grill. When Lubbock was "dry" it was a private club. For a while it was a biker bar. Now it is for sale.




I drove to an area just off I-27 and easy to overlook. My wife and I had examined this area on foot. This time I finally realized that we had discovered all that was left of Hub Homes!




It's being demolished, of course.  Hub Homes was early "low-income" housing in Lubbock. Ace Lambert lived in Hub Homes. He was a frequent writer of letters to the editor in the local paper. That was during the period of time Charles Guy edited the Lubbock Avalanche Journal.
 Ruins and rubble.

 This is an old school-- Sanders.

Does it still belong to LISD? Or was it ever part of LISD? An interesting ruin, but it is well-protected.

This looks rather ominous...

The sad remains of a neighborhood park.

Not much left.


Not much left of this neighborhood. Ace Lambert died years ago, of course. If I am not mistaken, he was disabled.

In the distance, signs of growth...



Telephoto. And then I made a perfunctory excursion into the Guadalupe neighborhood, which is nearby. 


I used that vantage to look downtown again. And as I drove on I ended up near Erskine on an overpass. Traffic was so light, I could stop on the overpass and take a few more telephoto shots.




No comments:

Post a Comment