Thursday, March 29, 2018

From the Archives

Let's start dragging out the old, dusty, cardboard boxes and see what we can find. Dead mice?


 The car above was photographed at an automotive swap meet and posterized with photoshop. I really like messing with digital effects and I started doing that as soon as such software became available.
This car was hotrod material. It could also make a great jalopy racer. These photos are many years old and were digitized long after the fact.
Another one! From the same swap meet.
The photo above was taken in Palo Duro Canyon with a 110 camera. Remember those? They were crap, but popular. I found one with a telephoto lens at a garage sale and used it a lot in the mid-eighties. What did I know?
Here's a chunk of amethyst after a lot of digital massaging. The amethyst is several million years old but the photo is more recent.
That's me with a big chevy van in Palo Duro Canyon. That van had a Firebird 400 4v V8 mated to a 350 transmission and hauled ass at 10 mpg. Gas was cheaper in those days. It had a 33 gal. gas tank. Most of the back of that van was empty except for a long bench seat that opened up to reveal storage compartments and an ice chest. I had that van several years and enjoyed it a lot. 

I'm three years old in these photos. My father was a car nut (and also a bit of a gun nut) and he built the little race car, with my mom's help, using model airplane construction methods: bulkheads and stringers, covered with canvas. He built model planes, too. I remember it under construction on the porch of the house we lived in at that time. At first it had wheels and I would ride it down a steep hill at the side of the house. No brakes. You stopped by crashing into a barrier before it went off into railroad tracks at the bottom of the hill. The crash at the end was the best part of the ride.
I built model airplanes, too. This is a Guillow's Stuka. Barely visible in the background is a '64 Fender Jaguar in sunburst. I played that guitar through an Ampeg Reverb-O-Jet with a Proco Rat and an envelope follower for special effects. I wish I still had that guitar!!
This was my first model ship. Here it is under construction. I built Scientific's "Sovereign of the Seas". It turned out OK.
My dad also liked gardening. He turned the backyard into a jungle. 
This was my first close-up of Tech Terrace Park. Tree bark. Details count.
Before the North Overton neighborhood was demolished I took photos of places where I had lived when I was a student at Texas Tech. This was one of those places. Lots of memories here. 

I looked like this in the late eighties or early nineties-- can't remember exactly when these were taken. I really liked that t-shirt. But even then nobody knew what the heck DOS stood for. I'd begun the weight training I still do today. I can't lift as much as I used to, unfortunately. Getting old is not easy. 



No comments:

Post a Comment