Monday, March 19, 2018

Another Look At Wilson-- An Experiment

This was an emotional experiment. The last time I was in Wilson my wife was with me, alive and well. We had a good time as I roamed around photographing the kinds of stuff I usually photograph. She told me what she knew about Wilson. It was a very nice day. We were happy. I wanted to see how it would feel to return. The short answer is: not good at all. The day was windy and dusty and cool and bleak. I was alone. I missed Sarjim very, very, much. I got photos and used the Nikon, but it felt like an exercise in futility. I drove back through Slaton. We had visited Slaton many times. She lived in Slaton once. She and her first husband owned a golf course there. She told me a lot of stories about Slaton. Being in Slaton felt even worse than being in Wilson-- Slaton was torture. Most people say it takes about a year to recover from a loss like mine. That means I've got nine months of this misery left. Someone I spoke to recently told me that you NEVER recover. Some sadness always remains. I can understand that. My wife was sometimes depressed and sometimes she spoke of her history. She lost two husbands. I wish I had her courage. She was a strong woman, determined to live life to the fullest.  But she still had times of sadness.  I don't think I'm going to do as well as she did.

So here is what I photographed in Wilson. Not much of a town. I picked the parts that looked interesting to me. I didn't stay there long because it just didn't feel good. I was going through the motions. I've been doing that a lot lately.




I don't understand how anyone manages to live in this place.




It really was more prosperous, once. But they still have a high school! And a football stadium! I didn't photograph that.

 Bits of foundation?


More from Wilson next time.


No comments:

Post a Comment