Tuesday, January 25, 2022

Sunflowers 72

 It's above freezing to start the day, and that's not bad, although the local forecast is still for a decidedly wintery turn tomorrow. Yesterday, doing necessary things, driving here and there, I had no problems. Traffic, yes, but generally sane. Maybe the 20 to 30 somethings were hiding in their parent's basements. Who knows? I neither know nor care. What thrills me, is that the Webb telescope has reached its L2 point with minimum fuel expenditure. It should be good for 20 years of amazing discoveries. I'm old (and my feet are cold-- I wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled) but I suppose I'll live long enough to learn at least a little. Also interesting to find that string theory is finding a bit of validation, although it's a stretch (ha ha)-- more of a logical consistency thing but better than nothing. If someone could find a way to drag it out of AdS space and into our actual geometry, that would be significant. Failing that, it would be remarkable to discover that we actually do inhabit an AdS geometry!! Could an infinitesimal region within an infinite AdS geometry look and act like the spacetime we know and love? The whole thing is way beyond my pay grade, but it's still fascinating. And in a day or two the US will have exceeded 870,000 Covid deaths. Eric Clapton should have a brain that works as well as his fingers...







I continue to hunker down. I like hunkering down; living with the animals, and all that. 


No comments:

Post a Comment