Sunday, December 12, 2021

Sunflowers 29

 I really should not complain about a minor dust event here, when on the same day so many states got hit with unprecedented tornadoes. I remember well the F5 that hit Lubbock. I was living on the track of that storm at that time but survived. It's an experience I would never want to repeat. My neighborhood got a sort of glancing blow. I was just a college kid at that time. My 1956 Chevy was parked in the driveway and had only a cracked side window. Trees were down all over, power lines down, and some houses had severe damage. I was living in a garage apartment, brick, and built like a fortress. Lucky me. At one end of the block there were fatalities when the second story of a house there got sheared off.







In those days, Lubbock had a very active tornado season. Many alerts, many funnels, thick black clouds, were things you just expected. Not any more. All that activity seems to have shifted to other areas. The problem today is drought-- prolonged periods of little to no rainfall. 

No comments:

Post a Comment