Friday, September 7, 2018

An Abandoned House On MLK

My wife and I examined this structure early in our relationship-- I think we were still getting to know each other and I was introducing her to my photography hobby. I took no photos of the house at that time even though it looked pretty rough because somebody obviously lived there. We thought it might be an artist or artists because of a large welded steel sculpture near the house. There was actually a pretty nice SUV parked at the house at that time. But now it is clearly abandoned, the large steel artwork is gone, and I felt free to take pics.




It did not look much better than this even when it was occupied! Today it looks like a haunted house. Then it looked like a haunted house.


 Note the satellite dish-- I think some people would be happy to live in a latrine if they had enough TV channels.
 Looks like they might have shot some hoops too. 
This was a nice house many years ago, and probably belonged to a cotton farmer. What happened? We always wondered: what happened?
 This is a "crop-zoom" example. 



Art? Not. Then again...




Abandoned outbuildings, weed grown, crying out for restoration and use, like the good old days.



Whenever the good old days were, for this poor old farmhouse, they are gone for good. There is nothing ahead but more ruin and more desolation. Children might have played in these spaces, once.  Again, what happened? What happened to the people who lived here when all of this was new?
Next time, I retrace more of our modest voyages of exploration...

No comments:

Post a Comment