Tuesday, December 18, 2018

Christmas In Lubbock!

This is the first of what I hope will be a big batch of special Lubbock Christmas pics! I decided to start with SANTALAND! This has been a Lubbock tradition for years. It's been set up in several locations over the years, but for the last few years it's been located in McKenzie Park.
 First I exercised the telephoto on the gloomy and cold day I decided to make my visit.



After dark this is all lit up but it is also very crowded, so I decided to visit when there was hardly anyone there.




As you will see, it is all over the map. It's got a little nativity scene, and it's got Disney characters, like the seven dwarfs and Peter Pan. It even has Gotham City and Bat Man. There's a little something for everyone. I'm not quite sure what the Caped Crusader has to do with Christmas, but who cares anyway.


 Hey, I don't see Captain America! I don't see Superman! I don't see Spiderman! Where is Douglas McArthur? Where is the Enola Gay? There's a lot missing here. How about the Mayflower? How about Christopher Columbus? And so on.

I was not able to enter, so I walked around the edges and used telephoto when necessary. The Nikon I use has an awesome lens on it. I got the lens on eBay for a fraction of what it would have cost new. The image stabilization is remarkable. Performance in low light conditions is amazing. 




On the other hand the camera and lens combo is rather bulky, so I can't use the set up in stealth mode, or shooting out the car window, or in places where the crowds are heavy, or when I have to have both hands free most of the time.




More from this location next time. I have some other locations in mind for Christmas pics.


No comments:

Post a Comment