Thursday, April 5, 2018

My Wife's Camera 2

So this is more stuff from 2014 that never got posted. Things were going very well for us then-- she was still healthy enough to do many things. We enjoyed walking together. She was very active in her rose garden. Roses require a lot of effort, as I have learned since taking it over. Results are worth it though. 

So, after visiting the tiny house I used to occupy many years ago, we stumbled upon the ruins left after a house fire. This was back in 2014 remember.





Terrible destruction!





The house next door got scorched, too. This was a poor neighborhood. Very unlikely that anyone affected by this fire had insurance.


Very sad.

We moved on to the site of the old YMCA near the TTU campus. My wife recalled that before it became that, it was a church. But whatever it was it was abandoned when we looked at it. I belonged to a chess club once, and we used to meet there Saturday afternoon. I was a Freshman. I recall seeing Drueke plastic chessmen for the first time there. A math professor, Dr. Underwood, used such a set. I was impressed! Eventually I got a set of triple-weighted Drueke's of my own. Eventually, in a used bookstore, years and years later, I found a little pamphlet by Dr. Underwood: "Silhouette Mathematics". In that pamphlet he described a quick graphical method of solving simultaneous equations with many variables. Exponents were no problem-- everything got mapped into a 2 space. It seemed for a while to be a promising approach to Fermat's Last Theorem. I digress.





The old building was overgrown with vines!

Well, I'll continue this next time!











No comments:

Post a Comment