Sunday, July 20, 2014

I Like Brownfield!

Yesterday my wife and I took 62/82 to Brownfield to check out an estate sale. Right away, I liked the drive. I liked the highway, I liked the view, I liked the small towns we passed through on the way, like Meadow and Ropesville, and I immediately liked Brownfield. It has a population of only about 10,000 but it looks prosperous, the downtown is not dead, and it has terrific neighborhoods. It actually seems to have building codes and enforced zoning restrictions. It has nice schools. The estate sale was in a great old ranch style house, with lots of room. It was in immaculate condition, in a beautiful neighborhood, and had a great yard. We found some nice things there. And then we just drove around. We found a locally owned steak house with great food and low prices and that's where we ate lunch. The people we met were friendly and not one of them seemed otherworldly, or to be the morbid product of generations of in-breeding. I found things to photograph, bought some old tools in an antique store, and enjoyed my visit. Amazing what a change of direction will produce.

No comments:

Post a Comment