Monday, December 7, 2015

Lubbock Updates And Guitar Collection Updates

Yes, just a few more pics of things here in Lubbock, Texas, and some pics of new guitars.



 UMC/TTUHSC is our vast medical complex consisting of a teaching hospital associated with Texas Tech's School of Medicine, and Lubbock's County Hospital. They are back to back and constantly expanding, and they are major employers here. Quality of care is absolutely top notch. We are fortunate to have this in Lubbock. I show only a tiny glimpse of some new construction in these pics.
 This is an area near the vast, sprawling, TTU campus.



We are north of 4th Street and west of University Avenue, in a largely Hispanic part of town.
 I found this Epiphone Les Paul jr. in a local pawnshop and got it for $75 "out the door". I like it. It plays great and sounds fine. In the photo below you can see how I had to set up the bridge in order to get good intonation. It would have been better if the bridge had not had the raised saddles. A simple Gibson style "stop" tailpiece would work better as a bridge.
Below, is my new Squier VM Mustang in Sonic Blue. Great tone! The rosewood neck is so dark it looks like ebony, and I like that too. This guitar reminds me of one I saw in Harrad's Music Store, on Avenue Q here in Lubbock years ago when I attended what was then Texas Technological College. I was shopping for a guitar and could have gone for the Mustang but I chose a Candy Apple Red Fender Jaguar instead. Mistake. The Jag was too much guitar for me at that time-- too much finesse required. Over the years I had many opportunities to buy a Mustang but never did it until now. I'm glad I did!
And the guitar above is the Squier 20th anniversary dreadnought I found in a local pawnshop several years ago. Solid spruce top, nice tone. This one was $100 "out the door". I always haggle over prices when I find something I like at a pawnshop. Most of the time they are eager to get rid of it and will take a reasonable offer. That's how I got my Jagmaster. They'd had it on the shelf for a while and I believe they sold it to me after I offered them $90 plus the sales tax. That, too, is a very playable and satisfying guitar.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment