Friday, June 12, 2015

Recovering At Last

Yesterday was bad, and I thought for a while last night that I must be getting even worse, but no. This morning, though weak, I feel definite improvement. I might even be able to go with my wife to our gym today. I might not be able to do much, but at least I'll be there. Probably did not have West Nile because of all the respiratory stuff. Maybe just a bad summer cold. I hate summer colds! And while the rain pours down again, most likely all weekend, with renewed prospects for local flooding and another surge of weeds and killer mosquitoes, let us examine another abandoned home we found a few weekends ago, way out on East Broadway:



This place needs to be bulldozed, and soon!




When I post here again, I will show what little remains of one of Lubbock's first shopping centers. I am old enough to remember them when they were in a state of decline. Today there's not much left. I got interested in them because my wife informed me that one of them had a Western Auto store-- remember those? They used to be all over the south. At an estate sale recently I found an old TrueTone guitar, which was a Western Auto brand. I got it for $45 dollars and restored it to playable condition. It probably came from that same old Western Auto on 50th Street. Without doing major work on that guitar I got it to play in tune all the way up to the 12th fret, which is good enough for a lot of music of the kind I like: folk, blues, country. It looks pretty good and sounds funky. The action now is comparable to that of a nylon string classic so I used light electric guitar strings to make it easier to play. I will post a pic of it, and some of my other guitars, soon. I've found some good quitars at very reasonable prices, on-line and in pawnshops. One of them really blew me away: A Glen Burton Les Paul copy. It was far better than I expected. I owned an old Les Paul Custom once, and this guitar is just as good, if not better. And it cost less than $200 with shipping! They also sell an SG copy and that is what I will get next, so I can do that AC/DC thing.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment